9.8 Self Service has encountered a problem on older machines

roiegat
Contributor III

So we recently upgraded to Casper 9.8 and all the binaries on users machines have been upgraded. I'm working on getting users moved from 10.8.5 and 10.9.5 to 10.10.5 and the initial push start from self service. Today I noticed that all my 10.8.5 machines (haven't tested yet on 10.9.5) are giving me the "Self Service has encountered a problem. Quit and re-open Self Service to try again".

So initially I thought it maybe didn't like my script. So I tried something else in self service on that machine and it got the same error. Quit and went back in, tried just a printer add - same error. Tested on another 10.8.5 machine and it's repeatable. I went to my desk and tested on Yosemite machine and all self service things work there.

So on the 10.8.5 machine here's what I did:
-Removed framework and used quick-add package to re-enroll machine. Tested Self Service - same error.
-Opened Console and looked at jamf.log to see if anything is showing up during error - nothing is added to log. -Ran sudo jamf recon on machine to double check that they are indeed enrolled.
-Just in case for some reason the policy was bad, tested it using sudo jamf policy -id XXXX -verbose and it ran fine. So that's good.

Any ideas where to go from here? I need Self Service in order to get these machines upgraded.

5 REPLIES 5

danmadden
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'm seeing the same thing - on 10.9.5 machines. Took the same steps you did, but the error persists. SelfService 9.8 is working fine on Yosemite machines.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

apredmore
New Contributor II

Jss version 9.8
OS X version 10.10.5

I am also experiencing the Self service issue on at lease one of our computers.

Clean
New Contributor II

I have also observed this behavior with 9.8 on 10.9.5 and 10.10.5. None of the Self Service actions/errors are reported in the log. It's not widespread, but still deeply troubling.

Removing the framework, re-enrolling and rebooting seemed to work in our case.

roiegat
Contributor III

So did more testing and it's only effecting 10.8.5 machines in our area, and nothing I do seems to solve it. Testing today with 10.9.5 machines and they are fine. I've seen occasional errors on 10.10 machines, but nothing consistent.

Very annoying because my whole upgrade plan revolves around them starting it when it's good timing for them. Hate to have to push it to them when they are in the middle of something.

jordanfleuriet
New Contributor

solved here