9.98 Casper Imaging - Autorun data preventing First Run Script from executing?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

OK, I admit that I am in the early stages of researcing this issue. However, after upgrading to 9.98 I'm experencing a consistant issue where a previously imaged machine, with saved autorun data, will NOT execute my First Run Script when being re-imaged re-imaged. Checking the box labled : "Store imaging settings as Autorun data in the JSS" completely resolves the issue and the First Run script will execute as expected.

I am running JSS 9.98, Casper Imaging (tested both 9.93 and 9.98) verified with 10.11.6 and 10.12.4 NBIs.

Any thoughts before I start tearing into things?

5 REPLIES 5

jrippy
Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner Sounds like you're running into PI-003666.
It was introduced in 9.97.1488392992. I was a part of another thread of people trying to work around this. I'll see if I can find that link and put it here.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for that! Unfortunately, it sounds like that particular issue was closed with no fix due to security reasons (I am still digging). Also, where do I go to look for PI cases and the like? I'm a bit ashamed to state that I've never gone looking for one in specific.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@Chris_Hafner if you havent voted this FR up, you might want to.

The community was keeping an unofficial bug tracker updated, but seems like that's fallen by the wayside.

In the mean time, I subscribe to all JN posts and if there's a thread about an issue for many users, i ask my buddy if it's a PI and if so I try to put the number in the thread for others.

I haven't ran into this PI - I forget why - perhaps because we never migrated scripts to DB

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Oh, I have, and thank you very much for your response!

athomson
New Contributor III

For those still struggling with this issue, here is the latest from JAMF. No patch is currently being developed nor is the issue being actively investigated. The issue is caused by the addition of a security change that was implemented. So even though scripts within Jamf Imaging are still "available", do not expect them to work. Jamf suggests packaging the scripts as a work-around, which begs the validity of the security change in the first place. Hope this helps.

Hi Andrew,

I don't believe this issue has been open for 3 years, I think there is some misleading information about product issue PI-03666. This issue was filed in March of 2017 and was caused by a security change we made for scripts around that time. I did some investigating and there is no current patch that has a resolution for this issue nor is there going to be one. We are not reopening the security change we made in 2017 to address the script issue we are seeing. I do apologize I don't have better news there, but we are being asked to develop new workflows(workarounds) to address this issue. If we are not interested in building a PKG using post-install scripts, we may have to rely on our binary triggers to call the scripts post enrollment.

Best regards,

Lucas Vance
Jamf
Strategic Escalations

Hi Andrew,

Jamf is still supporting imaging and scripts are still meant to be available for imaging as well. Unfortunately for us, we ran into a product issue that is not being reopened for investigation. I know that puts us in a rough spot, but we do have other options that will work for us. I know there is buzz going around that Apple is going to EOL imaging, but until that is real/true, we will continue to support imaging workflows. If there are any further questions/concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,

Lucas Vance
Jamf
Strategic Escalations