A rant on Apple's lack of backword compatiblity

fsjjeff
Contributor II

We just spent all summer updating a large portion of our computers to MacOS Catalina - started with 10.15.5 and then midway switched to 10.15.6. Now we're getting reports from students that iMovie is missing. I double checked in JAMF to see what's happening and see that 10.15.5 is too old to run iMovie. WTF?!? I thought the App store was supposed to be smart enough to install the last compatible version?

I'm still running MacOS 10.14.6 on my work machine because I need to admin some old systems that are only available with a 32 bit app, so won't run in 10.15. Last night I tried to open a shared Numbers file, but since the last Numbers update I can no longer edit this file, instead it tells me I need to update to the newest version, which requires 10.15 to run.

That's just this week, but I'm absolutely fed up with this. I get that Apple isn't interested in supporting really old versions of their OS, but I thought they had committed to an N-2 support system. But here I am with N-1 and I can't even participate in shared files in an all Apple environment.

We have secretaries and admin staff that don't get updates very often because it's just too disruptive to their workflow. We have teachers that hide when our techs show up to upgrade them and hate that we keep forcing them to update every year – but we have no choice because if they don't they end up incompatible with their students.

Apple - "it just works" - what a bunch of bs.

0 REPLIES 0