AAMME, CS6, installPKGfromDMG, error: what am I missing?

SeanA
Contributor III

We are late to the CS6 table, but hopefully it will be good practice for CS7. ;-)

I am attempting to use the installPKGfromDMG.sh method (which seems promising) of installing Design and Web Premium CS6, but it seems it will not mount when done from the script. The DMG will mount manually via Terminal command, but, when done remotely, I constantly receive the following error (the client machine is logged off while I push the command via jamf policy -trigger as a test):

Test-Support-iMac:~ test-sd$ sudo jamf policy -trigger install_dpCS6
Password:
Checking for policies triggered by "install_dpCS6"...
Gathering Policy Information from https://blah.blah:8443//...
Executing Policy Install Adobe Design and Premium CS6...
    Mounting afp://blah.blah/CasperShare to /Volumes/CasperShare...
    Caching package...
Running script installPKGfromDMG.sh...
Script exit code: 1
Script result: Variable "dmgName" value is set to: Adobe-Design_and_Web_Premium-CS6_Install
Mounting the DMG Adobe-Design_and_Web_Premium-CS6_Install...
hdiutil: mount failed - No such file or directory
DMG mounted successfully as volume on device .
Installing Package from mount path ...

There is a problem with your syntax.

Error: No package was specified

Type "jamf help" for more information.

There was an error installing the package. Exit Code: 1
Unmounting disk ...
hdiutil: detach failed - No such file or directory
rm: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Adobe-Design_and_Web_Premium-CS6_Install: No such file or directory

Unmounting file server...
    Submitting log to https://blah.blah:8443//...

I am thinking I am missing one small little thing; has anyone else seen or have thoughts on this error message? While I have looked at numerous other threads on this site in investigating this problem (like =4462, =305, and =161), I am quite open to retracing my tracks.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

SeanA, I deploy all of my Adobe CS products via Self Service using the installPKGfromDMG.sh and AD Security Goups. I create all of the pkg's using AAAME and require users to connect using ethernet. Below the script section in the policy this is what I have installPKGfromDMG.sh / $computerName $userName CS6MacDesPrm_Install.dmg. That matches my DMG's name.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

mcrispin
Contributor II

Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but can you verify:

1. That you can mount the selected DMG without the script on a known viable OS using the terminal? (ie, maybe the DMG is borked)

2. Can you verify that the path specified for the installer is pointed to the /Volumes/blahblahblah/wheremypackagebe location as needed?

Of course, verify all paths and use quotes if at all needed (usually reduces errors).

It also might be necessary to place a "sleep" command in the script to give the DMG some time to mount, unless you have specified to ignore validation -- in any case.. a little time wouldn't hurt.

Michael Crispin
Duke University

Josh_S
Contributor III

Have you tried just installing the pkg directly, rather than using the installPKGfromDMG script as a workaround? As long as all other Adobe applications are closed on the machine, we haven't had any trouble installing CS6 without using this script and we did have to use it for CS5.5.

~ Josh

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Josh_S Not possible if you're using SMB for your Distribution Point.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

SeanA
Contributor III

<delete duplicate post>

SeanA
Contributor III

@mcrispin:
Oh, I like simplification, over or otherwise. My answers to your questions:

1. The OS is brand new Mac OS X 10.7.2 installed from the App Store. No imaging. The DMG mounts when double-clicked in GUI or when using

/usr/bin/hdiutil mount -private -noautoopen -noverify /Users/jcp-sd/Desktop/Adobe-Master_Collection-CS6_Install.dmg -shadow

(I realized I started with Design and Web Premium in my original post, then tested Master Collection in step one above. Problem is occurring with both packages, though i will confirm with D&WP in a little while).

2. Yes, the server path is verified as correct.
    re: quotes and "sleep"... I have not altered the script with quotes as I was using filenames without spaces, though your comment is a valid one. The "sleep" suggestion makes a good deal of sense. I will try that.

@Josh_S
By "directly", do you mean placing it in Casper Admin and installing normally via Remote or policy without script? While the error message shows I am currently using AFS, so your suggestion would normally be an option, our distribution point will be migrating from AFS to SMB, so I need to test as if I am using SMB.

SeanA
Contributor III

Yep, I was right: I was "missing one small little thing."

Turns out the proper format of the variable to place in the Parameter 4 field is filename.DMG (not filename.no-extension OR filename.pkg).

I do thank you for your attention because you did help me refocus me back to the basics.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

SeanA, I deploy all of my Adobe CS products via Self Service using the installPKGfromDMG.sh and AD Security Goups. I create all of the pkg's using AAAME and require users to connect using ethernet. Below the script section in the policy this is what I have installPKGfromDMG.sh / $computerName $userName CS6MacDesPrm_Install.dmg. That matches my DMG's name.

Josh_S
Contributor III

@donmontalvo and @SeanA.

We are using SMB for our distribution point, and with CS5.5 previously needed to use the installPKGfromDMG script to install. Deciding to do a test - as the script makes our install policy annoyingly complex due to the fact that one "post" script has to run before another "post" script (the serialization script), I uploaded the .pkg file directly out of AAMEE using Casper Admin and tried to install it using both Casper Remote as well as a standard policy. The tests were successful, with the caveat that any prior installs of CS5.5 applications needed to be closed, not uninstalled however, during install. Limited testing (3 computers) but no problems with CS6 and installing from the .pkg file. Of course, test test test in your own environment to make sure.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Josh_S We had mixed results with SMB, so when JAMF released their KB we decided to abandon SMB for now - at least until Jody Rodgers' team can fix the corruption problem on AAMEE produced PKG installers stored on SMB shares.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=161

We deploy using three separate packages for each suite:

1. AAMEE generated PKG created in Trial mode.
  2. AAMEE generated Exceptions PKG (AIR, CHC, etc.).
  3. AAMEE generated serialization PKG.

We then use three policies, daisy chained so they run in order. #1 completes and triggers #2 which completes and triggers #3. I suppose if #1 is using the KB suggested DMG format it should be possible to cache the DMG, run the install script, then finally trigger #2 (all within the first policy).

I agree though, AAMEE DMG SMB = PITA.

Don

--

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@donmontalvo May I ask you if you've found your method more reliable than installing the already-serialized PKG?
I am having mixed results with the latter when installed on clients built with the same image and so no apparent reason to behave differently.
Also, what stage do your policies for CS6 run at? With or without a logged user?
Many thanks!
Carlo

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Both work for us, we switched to the TRIAL method to streamline things. So we have one set of packages that can be used at imaging time, when compiling, double-clicked in Finder, and when pushing via policy or Self Service. AAMEE packages create a temporary admin user account for the install, so it's a bit of a hack.

So essentially years of "streamlining" at Adobe resulted in fragmented development with the inevitable "let the Mac guys do all the work for us so we can save more money" subsidy style business position.

Jody Rodgers is turning the ship, successfully, so it's getting better.

--

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Many thanks for the explanation and additional details, Don.
I posted my issues with AAMEE /CS6 here, hoping to understand what's wrong with my PKG...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4964592#4964592
Ciao
Carlo

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@carlo.anselmi It would be helpful if you post screenshots of the AAMEE settings screens, so we know which options you're choosing. Also are you using the ISO/DMG downloaded from the Adobe Licensing Website?

--