Accessibility Shortcut

MBrownUoG
Contributor

Hello folks!

I have been asked by my institution to place an alias to the built-in Mac accessibility features on every user's desktop, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with doing this sort of thing?

I can see how it'd be possible to create an alias and then put that into a package via composer and deploy out to user account folders and the user template, but I'm more puzzled as to how to create the shortcut to the accessibility menu in the first place.

I'm hoping this is a quick one as i'm relatively new to this! Thanks for all your help thus far.

EDIT: Scratch that! I found the way to do it about a minute after posting this

1 REPLY 1

dsavageED
Contributor III

The simple answer is to link to: "/System/Library/PreferencePanes/UniversalAccessPref.prefPane"

Code something like:

#!/bin/sh
User_Name=`/usr/bin/python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "
");'`

ln -s /System/Library/PreferencePanes/UniversalAccessPref.prefPane /Users/${User_Name}/Desktop/Accessibility

However, I'm not sure this is a great idea... Sticking a file randomly on the users desktop isn't necessarily that helpful...