Admin and all of them come back with the message that it's not a valid
Adobe or OS installer. Does it not work with Acrobat updates? Am I just
missing something?

Thanks,

- JD

7 REPLIES 7

ernstcs
Contributor III

Acrobat Pro and Reader updates are an exception and were not rolled into their newer updater methods. Maybe in CS5?

Usually need to make a traditional pack of the update changes.

Craig Ernst
UW-Eau Claire
(715) 836-3639

Sent from my iPhone

pbachuwa
New Contributor

Everything but Acrobat updates work this way, what you have to do is get
a system updated with all your updates excluding the Acrobat update you
need. See what I had to do below, I worked with JAMF with this one.

I had packaged the Acrobat Pro Patch 9.2 this way and the Acrobat pro
8.1.7 the same way

Acrobat can't be patched through the normal Adobe Patch process, We had
to install CS4 with all the updates excluding the Acrobat patches.
Opened composer and did a New and modified snapshot and then installed
Acrobat patches and then I built this package.

Patrick Bachuwa

Client Technical Services

Sears Holdings Corporation

Michigan Campus

3000 W. 14 Mile Road

P.O. Box 8073

Royal Oak, MI. 48068-8073

Phone: 248 637-0350

Not applicable

Aw crap! So, just to clarify, Casper Admin will recognize any Adobe updater I throw at it as long as it's not Reader or Acrobat Pro? That's not made very clear in the knowledge base documents I found. Hell if you just type "CS3" in for search, it doesn't even return any results. You have to search for "Adobe".
That totally sucks!
Ok, so what are other people doing?
I'm not sure I'm that happy with how the Adobe installer is handled either. Building my own package seems easier and I know it installs faster. Plus there is no lag time between imaging and Adobe installing. As it stands now some student could log in and start working and then get locked out a few minutes later when the installer finally kicks off. I mean what's the point of even doing Adobe installs in Casper Admin? It can't update all the components anyway, right?
This is disappointing. : (
Adobe Sucks!
- JD

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

As you found, Adobe Acrobat Pro is different from Creative Suite. The Creative Suite and Acrobat Pro both use different installer technologies. The Acrobat team has already said they'll be using Apple's PKG installer in Acrobat 10. The CS folks have also said CS5 will use the Apple PKG format though who knows how they'll handle the licensing engine...

You'll likely end up making your own package, but be prepared for 'fun' in figuring out the licensing Db part of it. We finally decided for the number of people just getting Actobat that we aren't automating it. The CS.x installs are, but Acrobat is special...

John

pbachuwa
New Contributor

You are correct, Reader and Acrobat patches need to captured and Casper Admin does not recognize them. I’m not sure what others are doing. So during the build process I have the suite come down excluding The Acrobat patches. Then I created a smart group that look like below and then I have a policy that runs to point to the smart group do get updated with my new package.

Patrick Bachuwa

Client Technical Services

Sears Holdings Corporation

Michigan Campus

3000 W. 14 Mile Road

P.O. Box 8073

Royal Oak, MI. 48068-8073

Phone: 248 637-0350

Patrick.Bachuwa at searshc.com

![external image link](attachments/2a1589dc77fc487592f276b0f04577e1)
![external image link](attachments/cf567f7b08ff48b2ad68502095773072)
![external image link](attachments/1fe7dd155cfb47aaa5957f809e706b75)
![external image link](attachments/77944d63458a48b8b54367bf162c41a4)

Not applicable

Hi James,

Right from the beginning we decided against using the drop in feature for
updates. It didn't allow enough flexibility for package config.

To give you an idea of my process for a CS3 updater have a look below..
To add to that there appeared to be an issue with this process for Acrobat
8.1.7 so as a result I created a package specifically for this to go over
the top of all machines that had received an 8.1.6 build.

If your not using Firewire that's ok as Composer was fixed, it's more just
for records.

Pay special attention to the self heal issue as it does cause issues for
anyone that doesn't have local admins.

I might add that you could essentially build your other core adobe apps into
one package and then create a separate package for acrobat and make it a
combo updater. I have a copy of all the updates if you require them as we
discovered that in some cases new acrobat updates couldn't for example go
straight from 8.1.3 - 8.1.7 unless you had applied all previous updates in
consecutive order when building the updater.

Hope this helps.

Regards Anthony.

- [ ] Image Machine with Adobe CS3 Design Standard base image 1058 with Office package.
- [ ] Plug Firewire drive in
- [ ] Check that ignore permissions is unchecked
- [ ] Install and serialize CS3 from Casper
- [ ] check DVD versions - [ ] Photoshop version 10.0 - [ ] Illustrator version 13.0 - [ ] Indesign version 5.0 - [ ] Acrobat version 8.0
- [-] Run Composer - [] Look for New and Modified files - [] Open all Adobe main applications and turn off splash screens in all Applications - [] Open all Adobe main applications again to make sure the splash screens are off. - [] Run the adobeupdater from the Utilities folder on all but Adobe Acrobat Pro - [] Restart the machine - [] Update acrobat using manual updaters - [] Restart - [] Run the adobeupdater from the Utilities folder and change to manual updates - [] Open Photoshop to register components - [] Open Acrobat - [] Open all Adobe applications and set preferences for splash screens again to off. - [] Close applications - [ ] Turn off printer sharing in the PDF printer system preferences.
- [-] Run Composer (2nd snapshot) - [] Delete Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp - [] Get info on Acrobat.app and disable Updater.acroplugin - [] Change the selfheal file to reflect new changes AcroENUPro80SelfHeal.xml - [] forums.adobe.com‹1153356 <http://forums.adobe.com/message/1153356#1153356> - [] itmac.wordpress.com‹adobe-acrobat-admin-password-self-heal -problems <http://itmac.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/adobe-acrobat-admin -password-self-heal-problems/> - [] Manual copy the print.conf file and reference into Composer 7. - [] located in /private/etc/cups/ - [ ] Turn off printer sharing in the PDF printer system preferences. - [] Check that the InDesign Defaults has been swapped to include splash screens disabled. - [ ] Check that com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro_x86_8.0.plist has the ShowSplashScreen Boolean class set to No - [ ] /Users/macteam/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro_x 86_x86_8.0.plist
- [ ] Create .dmg file
- [ ] Copy Image to Casper Admin and save into testing.
- [ ] Testing - [ ] Check Versions have been upgraded. - [ ] Office Adobe relationship for plug-ins - [ ] create .pdf from word - [ ] create a .jpg and save in photoshop - [ ] No startup errors - [ ] Printers are still available. - [ ] Splash Screens disabled in existing and new account

This communication is from Cancer Research UK. Our website is at www.cancerresearchuk.org. We are a charity registered under number 1089464 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales under number 4325234. Our registered address is 61 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX. Our central telephone number is 020 7242 0200.

This communication and any attachments contain information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the email and destroy any copies of it.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is taken to accept the risks in doing so.

Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions.
Anthony, thank you for the very detailed breakdown of your process. I
may just borrow the whole thing.
Thank God, years from now when it's out and we can afford it, things may
actually work in CS5. Adobe = Fail
-JD