AD Home Folder not mapping correctly

arronf
New Contributor

Hi All, We're currently setting up a new mac suite and the school have asked for the student AD home folders to be mapped. I have ticked the box so i get the globe symbol at the bottom to map it, but only when i set the share one folder up from where it needs to be and i get the whole share with all student folders in on the desktop. 

The path we need is \\servername\studentmydocs$\%username%\My Documents

If i map \\servername\studentmydocs$\%username% as their home folder in AD, i get the globe but it connects one folder too high and creates the home directory folders in a separate folder (not the end of the world but would be nice to get it working how they want). 

Is there an easy fix im missing? New to Jamf, its my first setup so probably missing something surely!

If i map \\servername\studentmydocs$\%username%\My Documents then i dont get the globe symbol and the only item i see is a mapped drive on the desktop to studentmydocs$ share which has all students usernames in (they cant get into each others folder but would rather them not have that)

2 REPLIES 2

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

You could try using AppleScript, create a small app, change the icon and push the app to the dock.

Can you try this?

1. Open Script Editor on your Mac

2. Copy and paste this in:

tell application "Finder"
open location "smb://servername/studentmydocs$/%username%/My Documents"
end tell
3. Click the Hammer icon
4. Click the Play button
5. Does this mount the correct network drive you want?

Not sure how your environment is set up but can start from there.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 8.52.17 AM.png

dlondon
Valued Contributor

When I click the globe I get my own network home folder.  I think this comes from the field in my AD user account - look in Active Directory Users & Computers - find the account to check > Profile tab > Home folder item

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.59.39 pm.png