AD printer list

Macpants
New Contributor III

Hi all,
I was wondering if there's a way for Casper Suite to "forward" a print server on to users. That is, find the printers on our print server and populate them inside of Casper and users can access them from Self-Service (the latter part I know how to do. hehe)
Right now, there doesn't seem to be an easier way than just copying each printer manually.

I'll clarify if I've been too vague.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

why don't you add all the printers to a mac, use casper admin to add those printers to the JSS
then make self service policies for them?

Look
Valued Contributor III

Created a separate thread and posted the script I created for us, maybe it can help you, it's a totally script based solution rather than putting printers in Casper... It is reliant on printers being visible in the AD directory.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17721

Macpants
New Contributor III

Calumhunter, I could do that, but it seems that way of deploying printers is recreating the wheel, so to speak. I already have a list of printers on the server, why would I not just go straight to the AD? Plus, my printer list could go out of date. My department doesn't have a whole lot of time for that sort of maintenance, due to the fact that we do both light amounts of administration and heavy amounts of in-building service calls.
I wish that Casper Suite was able to pull AD printer lists, but it's not and I realize how much complication would add to the system. Though, that being said, most of the computers I've added so far can find users in the AD and populate the fields in the "Users" tab. Just a thought.

Thanks Look! I'll see what I do with that. Fortunately all of our printers are all listed in the AD but a few are of a different make (two others, to my knowledge). Haven't taken a hard look at it, but I'll try to cautiously adapt your script to pull in the odd printers out. I appreciate you sharing your script!