Add .png file to all Macs and use JamfHelper

Pursel
New Contributor III

I am trying to add a file to all of our Macs in our school system and then use JamfHelper to notify our staff that it is time to update the OS. I have the Script to run working but I would like to add our School Picture.

I have tried using Composer by creating a .pkg as well as a .dmg and using the FEU option. None have worked so far.

I'm trying to place the file in /Library/Application Support/Jamf

When the Policy runs I get the following error when using the .pkg:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is XXXX XXX
installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.)

When I run the .dmg, the Policy runs but does not add the picture.

Is there a location I can copy a .png file that all users would get it installed so I can match it up to our JamfHelper Script?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Off the top of my head, you have to create a .dmg and then use FEU options.

Start over:

Try dragging the .png file you want to the location you'd like (maybe, /Library/User Pictures)

Open Composer

Drag and drop this file into the Composer window, under the sources

Check permissions

Create the .dmg

Test

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Off the top of my head, you have to create a .dmg and then use FEU options.

Start over:

Try dragging the .png file you want to the location you'd like (maybe, /Library/User Pictures)

Open Composer

Drag and drop this file into the Composer window, under the sources

Check permissions

Create the .dmg

Test

cdev
Contributor III

The image file can be anywhere that all users have access to. For something like this that will be used and reused, I would recommend placing it in a folder at a location like: /Library/Application Support/<org name>/<filename>.png

This way the image is deployed once, and the location can be called by any scripts or UI tools without having to "find" the image in the local user. Just beware that with the Application Support folder, some scripts/tools will need the path either quoted or have the space escaped to properly read the file.

The other key is setting permissions appropriately so that users can read the image, but cannot write/edit it. Same goes with the org folder; root owns with full permissions, but "everyone" can read the contents. This folder then can hold any other bits that you want to store and reuse for other purposes.