Adding device after setup?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! Can anyone point me to a support article or an answer that addresses what happens if a device is added to an MDM profile after it has already been setup?

For example, a user received an iPhone and set it up. After a few days, the device is added to the organization MDM. Would the device recognize that after some period of time, or would it need to be erased and setup again for the MDM to take effect?

3 REPLIES 3

MacJunior
Contributor III

As far as I know the device needs to be erased and setup from scratch to get it enrolled in your MDM solution.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You can manually enroll the device using an enrollment invitation, or by browsing to the enrollment URL (add /enroll/ after your Jamf Pro URL), but the device will not be supervised, and management can be removed by the end user.  If you need supervision and non-removable MDM, the device needs to be erased and set up via automated device enrollment.

nachiket_s
New Contributor III

First we need to understand what method is used to add the device in your organization MDM.

In case of iPads and iPhones, user initiated enrollment will continue to work ( it won't be in supervised mode and you will not have full control over it)

As far as I know from end customers point of view,  there are 2 ways to add the device in your organization MDM - Your device supplier adds the serial no / order and it gets added to your ABM profile and then you manage it Or you  can connect the device to Mac machine with registered apple configurator profile and prepare the device for your organization MDM and once completed you can see the device in your ABM as well.

In first scenario , device will continue to work as mentioned in the start however if someone is adding the device using Apple Configurator then the device has to get re-imaged or vendor is adding the device in your ABM before shipping it to you then you will always maintain the full control as long as the device serial no is not bypassed from your Organization MDM or removed completely from your ABM