Adding LDAP server: what will change immediately?

Nate1
New Contributor III

Sorry for the weird title, but I just want to check with the community before moving forward!

We have a fully setup Jamf environment where everything is humming along well (enough). We have Okta and don't utilize it for Users/Groups/Buildings/etc and would like to start (unfortunately Okta isn't native for Directory Integration yet. Vote for it here: https://ideas.jamf.com/ideas/JN-I-16061)

I've setup Okta successfully in our sandbox Jamf Pro server and everything just fine so we're ready to move forward to Prod but we're not sure if anything will break. Since we don't have any policies, groups, extension attributes, that use LDAP in any way, we don't expect anything to take effect until we start using those, but we also weren't sure.

Can anybody confirm that adding an LDAP server to Jamf Pro just adds the ability to start using going forward? Rather than take over some part of your server and break/change things immediately?

Thanks a ton!

2 REPLIES 2

Jason33
Contributor III

Depending on how you set up AD to interact with Jamf Pro, adding an LDAP server wont do anything unless you have something like a Jamf Infrastructure Manager, along with an LDAP server account to auth against for AD info. I could be wrong, but I believe just adding LDAP wont do anything until you add that extra level of integration.

semhaj
New Contributor

Make sure that under Settings - Computer/Device Management - Inventory Collection Collect user and location information from Directory Service is not checked.

Else it will try to populate data from AD.

Not sure if there is anything else as we don't have any other integrations and primarily use Jamf for iOS devices.