Adding mobile device app through VPP creates duplicate entries

longian
New Contributor II

We have one VPP account hooked into our jamf pro cloud install. We did originally have an additional site set up which would create an global entry and an additional entry for the second site, but that was an inherited mistake which was since fixed. A couple of weeks ago I went through and started removing old apps or apps with no scope. Once there were fewer entries, I noticed that every time I added a new app to the Mobile Device Apps list, it would create an extra duplicate entry with the default options. We normally only do auto-install, but there's always a duplicate entry for the same app set to Make Available in Self Service with no scope. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aparten
New Contributor III

Check in Settings: Global Management > Volume Purchasing > your VPP instance

Look for "Automatically Populate Purchased Content" (screenshot below). If this is checked, it will automatically add the app when you purchase licenses. If you then go and created the app manually at a later time, this could be why you have 2 copies of apps.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.18.00 PM.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

If you have an app that has already been purchased and you need to purchase additional license(s) In AxM are you using the same Volume Purchase Account (VPP) as previously?

longian
New Contributor II

I am using the same account as before. And I've only noticed it when adding apps to Jamf that are being licensed to us for the first time in both ASM and JAMF. I'm only doing the process once. I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like in my mobile device apps list in case that helps. Both of these apps were licensed for the first time this morning from ASM, then added through Jamf once, but each has a duplicate entry with no scope, no type, and no license. jamfappdupe.png

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Grasping at straws here, but do you, by any chance, happen to have the same location token uploaded to both sites (the 'none' site and the site you added)?

longian
New Contributor II

Yes. There were the two sites in JAMF when I took over(well, one site and then the default which isn't listed as a site under the Sites menu), but the only server token I've uploaded in the last year and change has been for the default.

aparten
New Contributor III

Check in Settings: Global Management > Volume Purchasing > your VPP instance

Look for "Automatically Populate Purchased Content" (screenshot below). If this is checked, it will automatically add the app when you purchase licenses. If you then go and created the app manually at a later time, this could be why you have 2 copies of apps.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.18.00 PM.png

longian
New Contributor II

This was it. I was taught in a way not congruent with our current environment and have been duplicating everything this way. Thank you very much!

longian
New Contributor II

This was it. I was taught in a way not congruent with our current environment and have been duplicating everything this way. Thank you very much!