Adding printers via CSV

JNAZ
New Contributor

I see that we can add assets like computers/iPads etc with a formatted CSV. I am looking to add over 650 printers for our college to JAMF. Ultimately want to have a new user who is receiving a new laptop have the appropriate printer assigned and the drivers installed. Being I have so many printers to add I was hoping that I could add them via a similarly formatted CSV but one for printers instead of the one for general assets. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Basically JAMF takes a snapshot of the printer, and makes a deployable package out of that snapshot. There is no way to upload deployable packages to JAMF as a CSV. You could try to write a script to map the printer(s). However it would probably still be easier to map the printers on one of your devices and upload them to JAMF. 

If you are wanting to manage 650 printers, a print server is probably a better option. 

JNAZ
New Contributor

Ok thanks for the reply. I am at a college, no need to run a print server. Each of the printers are on a different vlan which I do have the IP for I just did not want/have the time to install 650 printers on every Mac on campus. I was hoping there was a way to mass enter them like you can with computer's and iOS devices. 

Thanks

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

for the iOS and Mac devices you are literally just creating an inventory record with the CSV. No Management events can happen off of those objects until you "manually" enroll the devices in to JAMF. (I quote manually, as there is still an action you must take for automated device enrollment). Me personally, I don't care much for how JAMF manages printers (or how macOS handles printers for that matter), but it is what it is.

If there is a way to automate adding printers in to JAMF, I am not aware of it. I have 10 print servers I have to keep up with, that is a pain enough I don't want to think about 650 printers.