Adding specific user (not everyone) to lpadmin Group

MisterDeeds99
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, My company and I are looking to allow our users access to the print options on the mac with out full admin credentials. These users have local accounts on their computer, not domain based.

I know the following script that most people have used on the forms is below, however, it uses the term everyone

/usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -a everyone -t group lpadmin

I know that if I replace everyone with the specific user, e.g. Charlie, then Charlie would get access to the Printer group but not Anthony, even though they share the same computer. However, this would require me to replace the name every time I give the script to another user or run it in Jamf.

Is there a way to specify that you only want the current logged in user to be added to this group? I have tried the following in replace of everyone but I end up with the error Record was not found:

• whoami
  • `whoami`
  • $USER
  • $LoggedInUser

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

sorry, typo in that.. just tested and it seems to work adding to _lpuser .. 

so.. the variable name needs to be the same.. you can encapsulate it with "$foo" if the user name has funky chars.. 

dseditgroup -o edit -a "$loggedinuser" -t user _lpadmin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

many ways to skin this cat.. here is one:

loggedinuser=$(scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )

Am I doing something wrong with how I am entering it in because it still does not want to work for me. I was able to confirm that the loggedinuser code works, however when I try to enter it into the code it doesn't.

sh-3.2# loggedinuser=$(scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )
sh-3.2# echo $loggedinuser
Charlie
sh-3.2# /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -a $loggedinuser -t group lpadmin
Record was not found.
sh-3.2# /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -a loggedinuser -t group lpadmin
Record was not found.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

try

dseditgroup -o edit -a $loggedInUser -t user _lpadmin

Still nothing. tried variations such as 

$loggedinUser

"loggedinUser"

'loggedinUser'

`loggedinUser'

Still getting Record was not found.

The only difference in error message I get is when I do echo $loggedinuser I get the following message: Group was not found

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

sorry, typo in that.. just tested and it seems to work adding to _lpuser .. 

so.. the variable name needs to be the same.. you can encapsulate it with "$foo" if the user name has funky chars.. 

dseditgroup -o edit -a "$loggedinuser" -t user _lpadmin

Looks like changing group to user is what did the trick. Thank you for your help 🙏

The working script compiled :

loggedinuser=$(scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )

dseditgroup -o edit -a "$loggedinuser" -t user lpadmin