Adobe CC 2015 Photoshop / Illustrator NAS Choice / Workflow....

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Just wondering, it has been many years for me, back in the day doing XSAN with Promise or Xserve RAIDS.

Video / Fibre Channel not required in this case. Gig E over one of AFP, SMB or NFS should suffice.

Illustrator files will be on the server and GIS (geographic / mapping) data is brought in via an Illustrator plugin. GIS data is also on the server / storage volume.

Currently the client is using an old cheese grater Mac Pro, OS X Server, Gig E, very old switches, with AFP, and some eSATA connected drives. (no RAID).

I am thinking we can us a Mac Mini with SSD for OS X Server, Possibly into a Sonnet 1U rack with a 10 Gb fibre Ethernet card, going to one of the 10 Gb ports on the Cisco switch.

Connected to a Promise (or other very reliable) RAID box, Active / Active controllers, connected via 8 Gb Fibre Channel to the Sonnet Mac Mini rack (8 Gb FC card).

So the question is RAID hardware. So, what are people using for RAID hardware these days in a corporate Adobe CC 2015 workflow. Has to be racked in a closet. I would think something along the lines of Promise VTrak series.

As an aside, I am sure most are aware of Apple's SMB 3 issue with certain NAS hardware (and the vendor's specific implementation) of SMB 3 (read NetApp). Currently NetApp does not support jumbo frames. Hence why in our environment, any Mac going to a NetApp share, uses NFS, and not SMB. Very fast and very stable.

I would probably do AFP or NFS, and skip SMB.

Also, looking at ProMax Studio Platform, can get pricey, and I believe it's iSCSI only.

Thx,

John

0 REPLIES 0