Adobe Install/FirstRun/AutoLogin

sgoetz
Contributor

I am attempting to get AutoLogin to work in a fashion like the Adobe Install account does. Im trying to get it to work on Sierra. I have used the CreateUserPkg.app before but that was a super long time ago and seems to no longer be maintained.

So I was wondering is there a way to see how JAMF does it with their Reboot / AutoLogin / FirstRun. Is all the code for that stored somewhere I can see.

Thank you

Shawn OG

1 REPLY 1

jrippy
Contributor II

@sgoetz I'm assuming you have considered the possible security risks of having Autologin enabled.
If so, the process itself involves writing the username to a preference file and capturing or generating the /etc/kcpassword file.
This file is just a hash of the password so it can easily be reverse engineered.

Here's an old Apple forum post detailing the plist and also linking to a blog post I used to use as a resource (I'm not the author, just used this as a resource) for doing this: kcpassword

If this doesn't work, try interrupting the Casper Imaging process and take a look at /Library/Logs/JAMF/ImagingScripts.sh to see what has changed. They should be generating the kcpassword, putting in the correct spot, then removing it right before reboot when imaging is done.