Adobe Reader DC fails to upgrade

jleomcdo
Contributor

I'm trying to install the latest version of Reader DC on my macs. I have tried deploying Adobe Reader DC.pkg (version 1700920044) to all the macs with a script that will download the pkg to tmp and then use "Installer -pkg $file -target /"

This works for most of the Macs, but there are a hand full of that will fail to upgrade. The results of the script shows:
ERROR - Problem installing Adobe Reader DC__1700920044
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

This mac has Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.app 15.023.20056 installed and running macOS 10.12.2.
If I download the installer pkg from the JSS Casper Share and run it manually, it will work.

Has anyone run into this type of issue?
Jason

3 REPLIES 3

bainter
Contributor

You probably know this already, but I run into this as well. Mostly it was anything Adobe running that would block the installation.

jleomcdo
Contributor

I don't know what I was thinking, but you were right. I forgot about closing the app first, if it's running.
Thanks!

chris_hansen
Contributor

It can also fail if the updater is running. I run this before my pkg.

#!/bin/sh
pid=$(ps axo pid,command | grep "[A]dobe Acrobat Updater" | awk '{print $1}')

echo "Pid is: "$pid

if [ "$pid" ]
then
echo "Adobe Acrobat Updater is Running"
echo "Killing Adobe Acrobat Updater pid"
kill $pid
echo "Pid killed"
else
echo "Adobe Acrobat Updater not running"
fi

The script was lifted from elsewhere, sorry and thank you to whomever.
It improves the chances of success, and doesn't quit the actual app, but sometimes only the updater is running.