AirPlay disconnecting after TVOS 14 update

wdebusscher
New Contributor II

Certain Apple devices have been continuously disconnecting from AirPlay after the TVOS 14 update on both wired and wireless LAN connections.

Problem:
The problem occurs in Safari when scrolling YouTube videos forwards/backwards or trying to Airplay YouTube videos after the video has already started. YouTube videos will sometimes play and scroll successfully with the Chrome browser.

Solution:
Upgrade MacOS and/or IOS. This problem does not seem to occur with MacOS Catalina and IOS 13 or above.

88af2f307c98483d8e0c816ebecfdd22

12 REPLIES 12

wdebusscher
New Contributor II

Please share any observations or other solutions that you may have.

Thanks

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Works fine with AppleTV4k on 14.3 & 2014 15" MacBookPro with 10.15.7 'Catalina' with Security Update of Dec 14th applied.

JoshRouthier
Contributor

I have seen this issue very specifically for devices running macOS Mojave. Upgrading to Catalina seems to fix this issue.

bradkatz
New Contributor

Yes- we have seen this here as well. I can tell you that it also happens on 10.15 as well however it is better. A solution I have found is to connect to AirPlay and then change your sound output to built-in or external speakers. Just don't use the ATV for sound. I am working with Apple now on this issue. 14.3 made no difference.

bcourtade
New Contributor III

We've experienced the same thing. Mojave + tvOS 14 = Problems 100% of the time. Catalina or Big Sur is the fix.

bradkatz
New Contributor

Question- do you have the same issues with TV's vs Projectors?

JoshRouthier
Contributor

Amongst our users, I have not heard that one is a better experience than another. Both seem to cause the issue of disconnecting when AirPlaying content

wdebusscher
New Contributor II

Equally the same on both TVs and projectors.

mike_pinto
New Contributor III

Forgive me for bumping an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone has found a resolution (updating to 10.15 excluded)?

JoshRouthier
Contributor

Latest tvOS beta seems to resolve this issue

mike_pinto
New Contributor III

@JoshRouthier tvOS 14.4 beta 2?

JoshRouthier
Contributor

@mike.pinto Correct!