All devices enrolled as unmanaged in 10.37

LoneMacAdmin
New Contributor II

Since we updated our Jamf Pro server to 10.37, any manually enrolled device is shown in Jamf as "unmanaged" . Appears that Jamf Binary is not downloaded to device --    /usr/local/jamf  is never created

This happens on latest Macs with M1 and macOS Monterey, and older machines with an older macOS.

Any one see this before?

I see there were other posts about something similar where it was suggested that Rosetta needed to be installed - but in my case it is happening on machines with Intel Macs with macOS or earlier

Any info appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LoneMacAdmin
New Contributor II

UPDATE-2

I observed contents of /usr/local/jamf/bin when enrolling a machine

- a binary called enroll appears for a time - I'm guessing this completes the actions required to setup Jamf management on the computer.

- looks like once it completes its tasks - which includes installing the Jamf binary in same folder - that enroll binary disappears. 

- at that point, comms start with server to provide device info

So the problem I encountered with incomplete enrollment process appears to have been a slow network issue - The Jamf binary is somewhere around 15MB - so a device needs a good reliable connection to the Jamf server for enough time to transfer required data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LoneMacAdmin
New Contributor II

UPDATE - I saw somewhere on this forum where another user had a similar issue a few years ago (Jamf 10.15). Suggestion was to re-enroll.

I removed installed profiles, deleted entry in Jamf DB, re-enrolled (manual) and reboot computer - device is now showing as MANAGED in Jamf DB.

Not sure what caused problems installing Jamf binary on to device. (/usr/local/jamf/bin)

Anyone else have problems with Jamf binary not installing after enrollment?

LoneMacAdmin
New Contributor II

UPDATE-2

I observed contents of /usr/local/jamf/bin when enrolling a machine

- a binary called enroll appears for a time - I'm guessing this completes the actions required to setup Jamf management on the computer.

- looks like once it completes its tasks - which includes installing the Jamf binary in same folder - that enroll binary disappears. 

- at that point, comms start with server to provide device info

So the problem I encountered with incomplete enrollment process appears to have been a slow network issue - The Jamf binary is somewhere around 15MB - so a device needs a good reliable connection to the Jamf server for enough time to transfer required data.

robertojok
Contributor

I had this problem with two M1 24 inch iMacs showing up as unmanaged!!! these were spare iMacs that had been in storage for 2 months from a batch that had been enrolled successfully and are managed.

The workflow provides a Rossetta installation before DEPNotify is installed which then performs the onboarding when the desktop pops up, however for these two, DEPNotify was not popping up and only a minimal range of Profiles were installed.

As it turns out, when Initially restarted the Macs, the DEP management window asking for my uni sign on did not pop up because had not added the two iMacs to PreStage enrolment.

O proceeded to add the two iMacs to PreStage enrolment and wiped the devices using the COOL NEW FEATURE > System Preferences > erase all content and settings...

This process was fast just like resetting an iPad!!!!

When the iMacs came up with the welcome window, I enrolled the devices by logging in to the Managed device window since the devices were now in PreStage enrolment.

However that is when the DEPNotify window failed to pop up and the devices were registered as Unmanaged. I wiped the devices several times to no avail!!!! After some frustration, I removed the devices from PreStage enrolment and manually enrolled the devices using the web URL and on one of them I run the command to install rossetta for good measure to no avail. So I got in touch with Jamf and got some recommendations which brought me to this link.

Discussing the matter with a colleague she said, "I think your new speedy wipe might be the problem".

So I added the devices back to PreStage enrolment and restarted both iMacs holding the power button, then Options, then using disk utility I wiped both computers and reinstalled Monterey.

On enrolling the devices the workflow just worked without any issues... DEPNotify kicked in and the devices are Managed!

Not sure why the Erase all content and settings affects the capability for Jamf to Manage the devices...