All management commands to iPads stay pending

psherotov
Contributor

So we're a Jamf Pro school with iMacs and iPads--iPads are for grades preK-3. All commands for all iPads are stuck at pending (no failures, just pending) and they haven't checked in since 3/31/2023. All devices have internet access, they're just not getting any policies or checking in at all.

iMacs are fine. 

I don't believe it's a certificate or token issue, but not sure what it could be. I'll give Jamf Pro support a ring in the morning, but figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone has a quick fix. 

Devices are all running current or reasonably current iOS.

7 REPLIES 7

AitchKay
New Contributor

Hi,

We also have a bunch of iOS devices that are not checking in and therefore not receiving any policies or Config Profiles.
After much research and trying various things, my understanding is that the only way to resolve this is to re-enroll the devices by physically running "Erase all Content & Settings" on each device. Once they setup they will re-enroll and regain communication with your JSS again.

If there are any other solutions aside from this, I would be keen to try them as this last ditch effort is proving to be a bit challenging for us due to the devices all being held by remote users.

Thanks 🙏🏼

Hi,

Well it seems like it is all iPads, so I don't really want to have to wipe them all. Will reach out to Jamf support to see if there's something else going on.

If I find a solution I'll add it to this thread! :-)

R_V_D
New Contributor

We've got the same problem on about 60 iPads, also contacted support but still no solution.

Did you find an solution? (Wiping the devices does solve it, but still more iPads seems to have this problem)

user-VvafFCnNAF
New Contributor

any updates on this issue?

gkracoe
New Contributor II

Same issue here, but with just one iPad. Fun part is that "Erase All Content and Settings" is greyed out, so I can't do that! :-/

RJ52
New Contributor III

Any updates? Same issue, but a few hundred iPads, and not all of them are in my possession. 

R_V_D
New Contributor

Hi! The only solution I've go so far is reinstalling/re-enrolling the iPads. There was a bug somewhere around release 16.4. The bug has been solved, but the devices that lost their connection has to re-enroll manually.

Jamf Support (july 2023):
During investigating the Product Issue found out and confirmed, that the reason of this behavior is on Apple's side, so that's why we have passed the ticket to Apple and their engineers Team is taking a look on this, so hopefully the issue will be resolved in one of next releases, so this won't affect more devices.

For now, with all devices, which are facing the issue already, even if the issue will be resolved on Apple's side, device's won't start communicating with MDM automatically, it will be necessary to re-enroll all affected ones.