Antivirus for Macbooks

mtripodi
New Contributor

Hi there,

I currently manage approximately 200 Macbooks in my organization. We are looking to implement more security by deploying an Antivirus solution. I would like to know thoughts on what is most commonly used out there, what other admins out there have deployed and feedback on how it is functioning. If someone can point me in the right direction with suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike Tripodi

8 REPLIES 8

PAC
Contributor

Look into the Sophos stuff. we have it here in a school on about 300 osx machines and our servers and its working well.

they also offer a free option for users which is great as your users can also be safe at home as well as BYOD environments.

Regards
Pete

jonlju
Contributor

Agreed on Sophos, it works really well for us and quite easy to deploy and manage as well.

rhooper
Contributor III

I looked at the Sophos free option for our Macs and it says 30-day trial. Unless I am looking in the wrong location?

We too are looking into some sort of AV, but being a public school we do not have much in the area of funding.

PAC
Contributor

There is a free version for home use for users. you will most likely be seeing the 30 day free trial of premium version.

Find a Sophos Rep and they will get you the correct quote for a school device protection and servers etc

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Cough...cough...Crowdstrike...cough...cough...

--
https://donmontalvo.com

CypherCookie
Contributor

we use ESET, and we also looked at SOPHOS. ESET has great options for implementing on a Mac nice and easy to install as well as configuring for remote setup to the server side management console too.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

We use Sophos...their cloud product, so our clients can be managed from anywhere, and not just within the office. It works good.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

I'm going to go against everyone here and say Sophos stinks...we had many issues with their updates and missing tons of things. We moved to Symantec Endpoint (we also have some windows machines) and we're much happier.