Any update on viewing policies scoped to a smart or static group?

bbarciz
Contributor

Has there been any update on a way through the Jamf Pro website to view policies that are scoped to a group?  I've seen mentions of a feature request for that and such, but all post are multiple years old.  I was hoping maybe there was a way to do this without looking at each policy individually.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pioneer
New Contributor III

If you click delete the group it will show you all policies and profiles scoped against that group - works both for smart and static :) 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

in a smart group, click on reports.. this shows what is scoped 

static groups, no, but really static groups are of little use.

Thanks for that, I didn't realize that was there in smart groups because I was specifically looking at a static group when I was looking for it.  I don't understand why the same functionality would not be there for static groups though. 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

can't say why, but static groups are really of very limited use. I only use for very small test / pilot cases. you can do everything with smart groups, extension attributes etc. 

I tend to use them (static groups) via the API to perform actions on large sets of devices where an issue was detected on another platform. Basically, ad hoc deployments where I already have the list of devices and don't want to figure out how to set criteria on a smart group. 

Yes, that makes sense.  I have a couple small groups as well, mostly for small department areas and such where it would just be nice to easily see what is deployed.

Another useful method (though not through the website) is the Object Info utility. 

Pioneer
New Contributor III

If you click delete the group it will show you all policies and profiles scoped against that group - works both for smart and static :) 

Thanks! This may be the best answer yet!  Although I don't understand why they won't provide a button to just show you without the "fear" of accidentally deleting the group lol. 

Agreed. It seems somewhat reckless to have this tied to a "delete" button, even if you do get an additional confirmation prompt before anything is actually deleted.