Anybody know how to stop renaming?

TBenolkin
New Contributor III

I Have 800+ students renaming restricted applications (games) and playing them from the desktop.
Each time I block, they rename.
Any hints on how I can stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You need to be entering in the process name into Restricted Software, not the full app name. This would be how ti shows up when the app is running in Terminal with something like:

ps -axc | grep "application"

In other words, don't include the .app extension.

They can rename the app bundle all they want. but if Restricted Software sees the process running it will stop it, because there's no way they can rename that, at least not without doing something crazy like getting source code and recompiling it or something.

You may also want to implement some whitelist and blacklist folders location,s so they can't run anything from their home folders for example.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You need to be entering in the process name into Restricted Software, not the full app name. This would be how ti shows up when the app is running in Terminal with something like:

ps -axc | grep "application"

In other words, don't include the .app extension.

They can rename the app bundle all they want. but if Restricted Software sees the process running it will stop it, because there's no way they can rename that, at least not without doing something crazy like getting source code and recompiling it or something.

You may also want to implement some whitelist and blacklist folders location,s so they can't run anything from their home folders for example.