Anyone have a script for de-provisioning a Mac?

stevehahn
Contributor

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem... currently when an employee leaves the company or gets a new machine, the old machine is usually just shut down and stored, then later either e-wasted or re-issued to someone else.

I have at least 100 Macs that my JSS hasn't heard from in months because of this, and more in AD--not to mention how many stale entries I have in CrashPlan.

I'd like to make a Self Service policy scoped only to my techs, that would run a script to:

• Un-bind from Active Directory
  • Mark the machine as unmanaged in the JSS (so the inventory info stays, but the machine isn't counting against us for licensing and being scoped into policies it'll never run)
  • Not actually sure how to handle de-provisioning in CrashPlan... if the user gets disabled in AD, CrashPlan will deep-freeze their data, but if the user is getting a new machine the old machine's backup should be adopted by the new one--is anyone automating this?
1 REPLY 1

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

We have a policy that performs this type of function, but not exactly how you're going to want to do it. For example, we're a BYOD school who do NOT bind computers to AD, and our only CrashPlan users are administrators (TM for everyone else). Students perform a de-provisioning process via self-service that we've titled 'De-Brewsterization' which includes but is not limited to:

Removing our licenses apps
elevating students to admin
removing our admin account(s)
generalized cleanup (removal of files and folders left over form other installs)
removal of the record from the JSS

things like that.