Anyone using Azure for DPs?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

We're looking into cloud-based DPs and our relationship with MS makes Azure the first option everyone suggests. I know it is not a native cloud option, but I assume it's possible to set it up as an https DP? Is this possible, and has anyone done it?

18 REPLIES 18

franton
Valued Contributor III

It is possible and it's something i'm experimenting with myself right now.

I don't want to go into details right now, but i'll be announcing what i've been working on at MacAdmin and Developers Conference in London next month.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

^^ Great to hear, franton. We're just starting to move in that direction for other purposes, so look forward to hearing what you've found.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Sorry I misread the OP.

Short version, you can do it by building an Ubuntu 14.04 server and manually doing everything. Getting the server spec right and the configuration will be hard.

Also you'll have to spend time installing apache, locking down the ufw firewall, getting some form of afp (via netatalk) or smb (via samba 4) configured so Casper Admin can access the server. It's not that easy but is possible. Running in the cloud complicates matters as far as security is concerned.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

It looks like Azure File Storage offers SMB to host files. I wonder if that would be usable without much extra effort?

swapple
Contributor III

Any updates on if this is easier to setup?

chrisacouch
New Contributor

@Franton, did yo ever post your slides? Trying to make this work right now and I'd be keen to see how others made this work.

swapple
Contributor III

Slides? Yes, please share.

franton
Valued Contributor III

@chrisacouch @swhps I don't know where you got the idea I was doing slides on this: my MacAdUK slides involved my JSS in a Box project.

My playing with Azure only lasted as long as the trial I had. I'll say this: you have to build your own inf with Azure.

chrisacouch
New Contributor

@franton I thought your first reply was saying you were working on it for a presentation at MacAdmin. I'll keep poking at this on the side and see if I can't post directions when/if I figure it out.

Sadly Box.com is not supported for my org.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

Im using blob storage in azure to host my DP's, works very well. Im getting ready to roll the jss in azure on serverless infrastructure.

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@geoffreykobrien More information about that, hosting DP's in Azure storage and make it available for the JSS? Curious!

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

Blob storage has http built in so it’s pretty straight forward. I replicate my jss master do with a script to azure and the blob storage is setup as an http dp in jamf. I’ll write something up when time allows. I’m also about to roll the jss on an azure webapp with cosmosdb as the backend.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@geoffreykobrien did you configure your DP access with an SAS URL or were you able to assign basic username/password authentication?

I got one of our Azure guys to agree to help me test this, but it's failing me trying to use a SAS url. (admittedly, not sure I'm doing it right!)

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Success!
Configure the blob storage to anonymous authentication and the DP authentication type to none.

The problem is my SecOps is not likely to approve anonymous auth on cloud based storage, although I'm told you can't browse the storage and would need to know the full file path to happen upon it.

Anyway: user name/password authentication did not work for me using an AAD account. Anyone else in a position to test the same? Come on kids lets figure this out, everyone wants to do it!

Im about to begin testing this. Have you made any progress on getting Auth to work?

omaromar
New Contributor

Hello All,

Any new updates and actual steps on this?

Thanks!

jbutler47
Contributor II

Curious if anyone has any experience with Azure Files to enable SMB in the cloud.

macsysadminjamf
New Contributor III

Extremely interested in this! Does anyone have a guide or some more details?