App list by

joshuasee
Contributor III

I've been asked to compile a list of the most popular third party applications on Macs with an eye towards adding them to Self Service. I can export a search by application, but since it is by machine, I have no easy way of counting the total number of copies of any given program. Is there a better way to generate a report that I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

millersc
Valued Contributor

Make sure your search preferences are set to "starts with" and use the (*) wildcard in the application name. Will give back all apps. Currently I has 221 different applications. Many are variations of OS apps. (e.g. Contacts, Disk Utility, etc)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jhuhmann
Contributor

Doesn't knowing the number of machines with a particular application installed tell you how many copies of a given program are in use?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

When you search Applications, it should give you a breakdown of counts by version as well as a summary at the bottom with "unique computers" which would be the total number of installs.

joshuasee
Contributor III

The application search route seems to require me to know the name and all extant version numbers of every application ahead of time. You can't perform a blank search as you can with computers. The initial report from exporting the computer list sorting by applications had 40826 lines, so I was look for sometime more automated.

millersc
Valued Contributor

Make sure your search preferences are set to "starts with" and use the (*) wildcard in the application name. Will give back all apps. Currently I has 221 different applications. Many are variations of OS apps. (e.g. Contacts, Disk Utility, etc)

joshuasee
Contributor III

Ah, the need for the wildcard character seemed to be the clincher. Thank you.