App tied to Apple ID and can't be updated.

roiegat
Contributor III

So I've packaged up the iWorks apps to deploy to new machines since it free. But since we don't have any new machines yet, I paid for the apps and downloaded them to my machine. I packaged them up like normal and tested them on our systems. They work fine, but we noticed that when people get an update, it requires my Apple ID. It won't let them change it to theres.

I looked in the show content of each app, but can't seem to find the file that is making that link.

Anyone else experiencing this issue and have a fix?

6 REPLIES 6

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Yup, if you download apps from the app store, they are attached to the Apple ID you use.
Your choice (depending on your environment) is to allow end users to acquire these apps and other stuff from App Store with their own Apple IDs, or to include them in your image by doing what you've done.
If you do it this way, you will need to package the updated apps when they come out and send them with a policy or offer them in Self Service. I offer them in Self Service for staff and by policy to student computers and it's been working perfectly.
Sandy

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You might want to try using the method that /url">@rtrouton][/url outlines in his blog for capturing the installer pkg from the App Store prior to it becoming registered with an Apple ID. I think this would allow you to deploy them and not have them tied to an ID.
[http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/downloading-microsofts-remote-desktop-installer-package-from-the-app-store/

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Oooo! That looks very clever! Thanks, Mike, and Rich!
S

roiegat
Contributor III

Interesting article. But wouldn't just removing _MASReceipt do the same? Will try it both ways and see if it works.

roiegat
Contributor III

It did the trick. The packages work great. Thanks guys!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Removing the _MASReceipt:
What will happen when that app needs to be updated?
Will your users be notified?
Will they be able to use their own Apple ID?