App Whitelist Preventing Google Account Setup in Mail.app

cpdecker
Contributor III

Hello all,

I am troubleshooting an issue that is arising after transitioning to iOS 10.x.x. When we try to add a Google account under the Mail app, there is never a transition to the screen where you choose what to sync--it just throws you back to the screen where you choose what kind of mail account you want to add (iCloud, Exchange, Yahoo! etc.). So we can't get the account set up. It happens on accounts with and without 2-factor authentication.

I have narrowed this down to the App whitelist feature. When I don't use the "Restrict App Usage (supervised only)" feature under Configuration Profiles > Restrictions > Applications tab, and instead just have it set to "Allow All Apps", I can add the Google account successfully.

I am whitelisting the following which I think could possibly be relevant to Mail working successfully:

Mail com.apple.mobilemail
Calendar com.apple.mobilecal
Notes com.apple.mobilenotes

We are already whitelisting a ton of other Apps in this same config profile and they are all working fine.

Any thoughts on if there is something else I can whitelist? My suspicion is that there is something 'further down' than Mail.app being accessed during the account setup and the whitelist function is blocking that. Any insight is much appreciated! I will continue grinding away in the mean time.

2 REPLIES 2

cpdecker
Contributor III

Digging around in iOS Console log, I found some "Apps" that were running while attempting to add the mail account:

com.apple.social.SLGoogleAuth.SLGoogleAuthService
com.apple.WebKit.WebContent
com.apple.social.SLGoogleAuth
com.apple.SystemConfiguration
com.apple.network
com.apple.WebKit.Networking
com.apple.networkextension
com.apple.siri

I added them all to the app whitelist and found that I could now add the Google mail account. I removed them all one by one until I found the one that caused it to stop working.

So, it seems that having com.apple.social.SLGoogleAuth in the App whitelist fixes this problem. Will report back if anything changes.

thekosherphone
New Contributor

Hey, im having this problem as well. tried adding all of those to the whitelist, but no luck.... any other ideas?