Apple Configurator 2 & Incremental Numbering

yellow
Contributor

What am I doing wrong? Functionality that I'd come to rely on in Apple Configurator 1.x doesn't appear to be working in AC2.

I have a Mac Mini with only 3 extra USB ports, so I can only image 3 devices at a time.
AC2.2
I have a blueprint that includes a "Device Name" change that names a device BAR<1>. If I have 3 devices plugged in, I do get BAR1, BAR2, and BAR3. As expected. However if I then unplug and plug in 3 more devices, they also get named BAR1, BAR2, and BAR3, and so on. Clearly a problem. In AC1, this would be smart enough to increment the device ID+number up & up & up.

With likely 10s, possibly 100s of devices, the chances for someone to misname them is far too high. And then in Casper there will be duplicates. And renaming them doesn't help because the device's incorrect name is on the lock screen and doesn't update (I tried).

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yellow
Contributor

So I solved this "issue". I was both asking AC2 to name the device AND telling the device to display the device name on the lock screen wallpaper in the same Blueprint. When I move them to separate Blueprints (e.g., device naming in a BP before the wallpaper BP), it started working as expected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dzhang
New Contributor II

We got the same issue as yours. Does anyone know how to figure this out?

yellow
Contributor

In the end, I went with Serial Number as the device ID since it was the only way to ensure a unique ID. It's ugly, it's not friendly, but it was the only way I could be sure that someone wouldn't make a boo-boo and doubly name something.

belldesean
New Contributor III

[http://docs.jamfsoftware.com/9.91/casper-suite/administrator-guide/iOS_Configuration_Profiles.html]

2a88447bed5446d3a3ead247204f0346
a6f41dbd05744fffb5c0db4a42f36197
843816c8323449e980669612276cd8c4

I'm not sure what to do about the AC 2 naming problem but this is how we get the name and fixed asset to show on the front screen of mobile devices in JSS. We use a "Device Site and Name" configuration profile. After we rename or enroll devices we always click "apply to all". This may not be anything at all what your looking for but hopefully it can help somebody.

yellow
Contributor

So I solved this "issue". I was both asking AC2 to name the device AND telling the device to display the device name on the lock screen wallpaper in the same Blueprint. When I move them to separate Blueprints (e.g., device naming in a BP before the wallpaper BP), it started working as expected.