Apple DEP pre-stage awakens out of nowhere

jbarnes
New Contributor

We have two ways we put an OS on a Mac.

1. If the computer arrives in a box, we are part of Apple DEP so computer should automatically be configured during setup. We use a bunch of thin imaging scripts to do this.

2. If the computer is being re-imaged, we boot off of a netboot environment and use casper imaging to put the bare OS and then use the same thin imaging scripts.

I have been testing this and it's been working for quite some time -- but today, a computer that was re-imaged via the netboot workflow popped up the MDM profile management notification. I agreed, and then it started re-imaging itself. In the beginning of the DEP scripts I have the computer flush its policy history -- so the DEP action immediately sets in motion the conditions for re-enrollment, since the thin scripts are triggered by that.

I had never encountered this before unless the DEP process initially failed. I was under the impression that the only check being done as to whether or not a computer is a DEP computer was during setup assistant. Is that not so? If not, does anyone know why/how this would happen? It's very strange.

0 REPLIES 0