Apple TV and JSS

Treger
Contributor

Hi Guys,

We are looking at administering Apple TV's with JSS, I just wanted to see what people had to say their experience with it is? I can see the config profiles and setting up the device etc looks pretty straight forward as well as setting passwords etc. I was just wondering how the updating works? is there a way to distribute iOS updates to the device after it has been configured i.e. by ipsw or something like this? If not how is everyone maintaining updates with them? I am hesitant to just set auto updates on the device as some Apple TV updates have bricked the devices so would rather control the updates applied...

4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I hear you! Unfortunately, there's no way to manage the updates via the JSS so far as I know. This is a limitation set by Apple. Not a limitation of the MDM. Perhaps Apple would be nice enough to let us trigger these via push command in the future. In the mean time I've taken the calculated risk of setting auto updates. I know there's been at least one bricking issue in the past. For me, if I brick 60 appleTVs then Apple owes me 60 new AppleTVs. I can handle that as we have wired backups for everything anyways. Perhaps this isn't the best way to manage this but hey... Hopefully someone will jump in here with far better recommendations!

brownbe
New Contributor III

I feel like with the impending Apple TV refresh at WWDC there will be more options to manage these. Word on the street is the new OS will have an App Store, so that will likely at least be something we will have the option of disabling.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Boy I hope so. Honestly, I've been saying that for the last two refreshes! Hell, I know I won't get it, but I'd love to be able to assign by IP and manage with the JSS directly, sans Bonjour. Again, I know I won't get it.

Treger
Contributor

Well thats rather a let down lol, I was hoping for a better outcome :) Lets hope Apple entertain the idea as @brownbe mentioned, that would be a good addition....