Apple Updates showing as 'No Updates Available' after reverting to Apple's server

May
Contributor III

I'm testing switching back to Apple's update servers from our own in house one.

I've removed the configuration profile that was pointing the machine to our catalogurl, run softwareupdate -l and it lists the available updates from Apple's server

ran sudo jamf removeSWUSettings

check that the catalog url has been removed with this EA which returns 'None'

#!/usr/bin/python

# EA to show if Software Updates are managed or not

import CoreFoundation

domain = 'com.apple.SoftwareUpdate'
key = 'CatalogURL'

key_value = CoreFoundation.CFPreferencesCopyAppValue(key, domain)

print "<result>{}</result>".format(key_value)

then run recon on the machine, when i check on the JSS the computer record shows Software Updates as 'No Updates Available'

any ideas what i'm missing ?

4 REPLIES 4

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

u generally need to reboot for changes to the com.apple.softwareupdate.plist file to take effect.

dwillis
New Contributor II

When I perform a check for updates manually High Sierra doesn't come up. I had to go to featured and type it in to download it. Hope this helps. Adam

May
Contributor III

thanks @ooshnoo @dwillis

i've restarted and it still shows 'No Updates Available', the odd behavior i've just noticed is if i connect the VPN then run recon the updates show up in the JSS, if i run recon whilst off the VPN it shows 'No Updates Available',

This is the expected behavior we see when a Mac is pointing to our in house update server as they can't reach it whilst off the VPN, to make sure it's not still using that catalogurl i turned off the in house update server and ran softwareupdate -l and it still lists updates on the Mac, plus some of the updates that are listed using softwareupdate -l are not enabled on our own server so i'm pretty certain it's not trying to use that.

May
Contributor III

ok, after deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist it now shows the updates in the JSS all the time.