Apples decision to support the XServe again

ProfFrnswrth
New Contributor II

Wanted to start an open discussion about Apple's decision to support the XServe with they release of Yosemite yesterday. Do you think Apple is going to be getting back into the server game? Are they just updating old hardware for people who purchased it? Would be odd because the XServe hardware is so old it would be considered obsolete hardware by Apple's standards.

3 REPLIES 3

freddie_cox
Contributor III

I think it stems more from the fact that Apple wanted to keep the system requirements the same for Mavericks and Yosemite. Since XServe was a supported platform on 10.9 it had to be christened for 10.10.

ProfFrnswrth
New Contributor II

Oh wow, I honestly did not realize that Apple supported Mavericks on the old XServe's as well. Was it always that way from the beginning? I don't remember seeing XServe on the system requirements list in the beginning.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

I believe that it was, I've got one XServe left that has been running Mavericks Server since 10.9.2 or so.

Also, the XServe Early 2009 is still on the supported platform list, but I would expect to see it added to the "Vintage" list soon:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1752