AppleTV and WiFi Configuration

casafrancisco
New Contributor III

Will an AppleTV with a Configuration profile to connect to a WiFi network automatically work? It doesn't seem to work for me. I connect it via ethernet to get it to go through setup, but when I unplug it does not connect to the WiFi i setup in the profile.

5 REPLIES 5

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

Which version tvos and jamf do you use?

casafrancisco
New Contributor III

Jamf Pro 10.3.0-t1521825567 and tvOS 12.0.1

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

What happen when you restart the apple tv after unplug the cable?

m_green
New Contributor III

Same here. We have to make it join our networks. We also have open networks (no password) that are connected to a radius server and our Apple TVs spontaneously drop WiFi connection, then don't rejoin despite having the WiFi profiles needed. We just have to go back into settings and rejoin the WiFi network.

casafrancisco
New Contributor III

I think the problem we had was based on how we did our profiles. I tried to make a single profile for AppleTVs with all the configurations I needed. What I found works better is try and create better usable profiles that can be reused better between different devices when possible. This is what worked for us:

• Create a separate profile for WiFi Settings
  • Create a separate profile with any other settings for the Apple TV
  • If you plan on using Conference Display Mode, create a separate profile for that as well
  • Scope the profiles to your devices
  • If your device was previously on ethernet and you are setting it up to be on WiFi you may need to power cycle the device

Ever since I did this (especially keeping the WiFi separate) I haven't been having issues.

We were previously having issues because I was using Conference Display Mode which disconnected the remotes stopped the remotes from pairing so you couldn't connect it back to wifi. So we had to go to each one and restore it and i found the process above worked best.