Application Query

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

Hi,

1. I want to deploy certain applications  like Chrome, Slack etc on devices without user interaction, I don't want users to install manually via Self- service. Do we have any configuration setting for force install?

2. If the recurring frequency is set for any policy i.e. 15 mins , will the device be checked every-time for new policy or all the existing policies also will be reapplied ?

2 REPLIES 2

cdev
Contributor III

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can configure any policy to run and/or install an application without user interaction

2. If you set the policy to run on the Recurring check-in, the policy will run EVERY time it checks-in...unless you have the policy set to Run Once per Computer

The automated push install can be a little dangerous... Just be really careful with your policy configuration or you could be pushing-down gigabytes of data every 15 minutes to all devices.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

You can, but jamf currently has a few caveats for this model. Which are, but not limited to:

1. Jamf will not check if the app is running
  2. Jamf will just install the app 
  3. if you have reinstall policies if the app is missing you will need to call recon after the app install

None of these should be show stoppers as you can code around the caveats.  We have had full end to end automation from AutoPKG > JSS Importer > Jamf Pro > Python code for over 2 years now.  Here is my repo that I have published on how we accomplish this. 

While this method has been highly effective at silent patching, we will be migrating app installs to Munki soon (it is in pre prod pilot now) due to every time I added code or features to my workflow I was in the end just reinventing diet Munki. 

Now, that being stated jamf just announced their new auto app installer features at JNUC 2021, which we don't know all the full details of what that feature set is, but it sounds like jamf is closing that gap in their feature sets soon.  There are many ways to accomplish this, and the best method for your org will be up to you. I will say my opinion on curl scripts is to not use them as they have their own set of issues on their own.

So, you will have many options to choose from, and there isn't a right or wrong answer that is universally that way, just choices you can make for what works best for you all.