Applications user preference

dommer
New Contributor III

I tried to push out an application with Casper without problem, but when a user first launch the application, the application will prompt the user to enter the configuration / preferences (which should be common to all uses) and eventually saved to each individual users' ~/Library/preferences as plist. Assuming that I can duplicate this plist for all users, but how can I push this plist with casper allowing it to be copy to the individual user's preferences, when the user first launch this application.
All helps will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

you could also just package the plist and have it install into /Library/Preferences/
I usually like to have the vendor package and then another package that installs the configuration items like the plist or a licence number. so if i change my configuration, i can easily update that package with out having to touch the application package if that makes sense

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

I would generally do this by repackaging the app in composer as a .dmg and fill existing user templates.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

you could also just package the plist and have it install into /Library/Preferences/
I usually like to have the vendor package and then another package that installs the configuration items like the plist or a licence number. so if i change my configuration, i can easily update that package with out having to touch the application package if that makes sense

dommer
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,
Many thanks for the quick response. As suggested, I have copied the plist into /Library/Preferences, and updated the user access right. Then package it up with composer as dmg and pushed it out. All is working now.