Auto Copying DMG package from CasperShare to user's desktop

jaymckay
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm sure this is a simple command to be run, but for some reason I cannot find the best way to perform a copy of a file from my CasperShare to a user's desktop. All in all, I'd like to create a simple policy where I can send a file to a scope of computer's desktops.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jay

8 REPLIES 8

al_platt
Contributor II

18c69b4d446e44bb88f3395ceff4d6a4
d56fec80beaa4889a769afee92e795d5
Can you use Composer to snapshot then push out with FEU ticked?

Should add the file to every users desktop.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, I normally don't recommend the use of a DMG and the FEU or FUT options, but this is one case where it should really work well for you. If its just a simple file, go with that option. It can also be included in a pkg format and scripted into place, but its not worth the effort for a simple file IMO.

jaymckay
New Contributor II

Thanks guys - I was considering doing it as a package too, but was hoping there was some native command to run it all. I suppose this is something that could be down with ARD.

A little info on why I'm trying to do this... I have a couple huge packages (i made one which installs the iLife/iWork tools tied to a specific apple-ID) over top of a slim image that was made with AutoDMG. Sometimes it takes forever installing the file through remote, or policy. I was thinking I could drop the package locally on the machine, so the user could run it when it's convenient.

al_platt
Contributor II

Or you could push the package cached and then use a policy to install later? Would get round installing over the air issue and just pull it locally.

jaymckay
New Contributor II

Thanks Al - I think that's a good idea. I'm going to give that a go.

Thank you!

MadPossum
New Contributor III

mm2270, why don't you recommend the DMG + FUT/FET? I seems to be a good option as scripting that kind of behavior has always been a bit of a challenge.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@clindsey Funny you should ask. This was also discussed today on another thread. I posted my opinion of why I think packages with scripts are better. You can see that here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=20133#responseChild121499

Please keep in mind this is only my opinion. I get the feeling my opinion on this isn't popular within JAMF themselves since they tend to promote the DMG format and the use of FEU/FUT options quite a bit, but I'm not concerned, because its just my opinion. I've never been a great fan of it. As I said though, it does have its uses.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@mm2270 - to me, when I see you post: "Yeah, I normally don't recommend the use of a DMG and the FEU or FUT options, but this is one case where it should really work well for you..."
I think "is there something wrong with this method"?

As with so many things here, there are many ways to skin a cat. Someone new(er) will want to try things that they grasp (I know that's the case for me) and work their way upwards. If I know this method works, but see your suggestions I am certainly going to look at those and try to understand those so I can no only learn, but see for myself what's "better" for my needs.

So often we read here that someone doesn't like a Casper built-in option, and I'd like to know when that's the case of why, and why is their way better. It's the only way for folks to learn, and it's helped me a ton here.

"Just opinions" of guys like you weigh heavily, so they mean something. I've learned things I had no clue about from you and others here.