Auto-Populate Location Information not using AD. (Using Subnet)

amitvasani
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am very new to JAMF and need some help. In our environment we are not able to set up a LDAP. And currently when computers are added to the inventory the location field is left blank.

Is there a way to bind Location information with the subnet the computer is on. I have set up the multiple locations/building/subnets we have and would like a way for the location to be auto-populated based on the IP it receives.

Thanks for any and all help.
Amit

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Yes, what you want to use is Network Segments. Found under Settings > Network Organization > Network Segments.

You can set a client's distribution point, building and department based on their IP address.

View solution in original post

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Each Network Segment can have a Building you've defined in the JSS associated with it in the Network Segments settings. There is also a checkbox there called "Override building in Inventory" which does exactly what it says. When a Mac (or iOS device) enters that Network Segment, the Building field in the Location tab for that device gets updated to the one the Network Segment has assigned to it.

I'm not sure if that one piece satisfies what you were looking for. If you wanted to update additional fields besides Building, it would likely need to be scripted.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Yes, what you want to use is Network Segments. Found under Settings > Network Organization > Network Segments.

You can set a client's distribution point, building and department based on their IP address.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Each Network Segment can have a Building you've defined in the JSS associated with it in the Network Segments settings. There is also a checkbox there called "Override building in Inventory" which does exactly what it says. When a Mac (or iOS device) enters that Network Segment, the Building field in the Location tab for that device gets updated to the one the Network Segment has assigned to it.

I'm not sure if that one piece satisfies what you were looking for. If you wanted to update additional fields besides Building, it would likely need to be scripted.

amitvasani
New Contributor

Thanks!