automatically enroll a new device into a Static Group during prestage enrollment? Sonoma

mrrobertbuss
New Contributor III

What is the proper way to automatically enroll a new device into a Static Group during prestage enrollment? I'm using Sonoma 14.4.1. Currently I have to do this manually after the end user boots up the machine. There are policies configured to a certain Static groups new devices needs to belong in. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Pioneer
New Contributor III

It should happen automatically based on your Smart Group criteria

View solution in original post

Smart Groups are dynamic based on your criteria you've set

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shannon_pasto
Contributor

You'll need to do an API call from the endpoint to add it to a static group. You could do this using the enrollment trigger in a policy

wakco
Contributor II

My question is why? A Smart Group configured for computers enrolled after a fixed date would achieve the same thing. I do that all the time when I'm dishing out a change that gets included in the enrolment process, so that the change isn't re-executed on fresh enrolments that already have it.

In short a Static Group shouldn't be used for an automatic group, that said, it is possible to combine, just make sure the Smart Group includes an OR is a member of the Static Group.

mrrobertbuss
New Contributor III

Ok I see your point. Rephrasing the question: how do I get it to assign to a Smart Group during enrollment? 

Pioneer
New Contributor III

It should happen automatically based on your Smart Group criteria

Smart Groups are dynamic based on your criteria you've set

I think this is correct? 

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 4.59.06 PM.png

Looks similar to something I have so it should work

Much better, so you wanted to know about all the Macs enrolled via ADE/DEP and a specific PreStage Enrolment, and wanted to make sure fresh enrolments would automatically appear in the group (the why?).

It is easy to forget, Smart Groups are surprisingly powerful.

efil4xiN
Contributor II

I just did this based on an EA we already had using ModTitan's Script . we move device in and out of groups, so we created a po-up menu EA. Just choose from the drop down to move computer to group or to a new group