Automatically install iOS Applications and have them available to download in Self Service

niacobelli
New Contributor III

Good morning,

This may be a simple question but I couldn't find an answer. Let's say I have 1000 licenses to an app through VPP/Apps and Books. I see the app in Jamf Pro, how would I go about pushing the app to specific iPads (per grade, etc) and then having it available in Self Service for other groups as a download item within Self Service.

I hope that makes sense.
Thank you,
Nick

3 REPLIES 3

Gascolator
New Contributor III

If I'm understanding the question correctly, you'd just add the app twice under mobile device apps. You set one up for self service and the other up for automatic install and scope appropriately. I did this with an app we have that we use for both iOS/tvOS. I added it twice - scoped one to the Apple TVs and set it for automatic install. The other one, I scoped to iPads, and set it to be available in self service.

niacobelli
New Contributor III

That what I was thinking. I just didn't know if it was best practice to have multiples of the same app with different deployment. Thanks for the confirmation! I appreciate it.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

That is something over the years the Jamf has went back and forth on. I remember in older versions it wouldn't necessarily let you have more than one instance of an app...then VPP came along and it's necessary for people with multiple VPP accounts to have more than one instance of the same app...if nothing else because the money came from two different pots so to speak.