Backing up and restoring a device with new management and supervision status

bumbletech
Contributor III

I have a number of staff devices that need to be migrated from our old MDM provider to Casper. The problem:

These devices were enrolled via DEP with non-removable profiles. I'm a good sport and a sick part of me appreciates this delicious irony that the most requested feature of MDM now being, in this scenario, the bane of my existence. If I back up and restore to the same device, everything stays the same including: MDM enrollment, profile removability and supervision status.

I know that we can do what we (in our shop) call a Futurama/Farnsworth transfer:
Backup Device A
Restore Device A's Backup to Device B (does not belong to anyone)
Backup Device B (now with Device A's content)
Restore Device B's new backup to Device A

Here's the kicker: Apps and a user's AppleID. Device B needs to re-download the apps from the app store for them to properly get re-backed up and restored onto Device A. This requires authentication. The goal was to have a student intern doing most of the grunt work but we're trying to avoid the student being privy to any AppleID info for these staff members—and I wish we could do the same for our tech staff doing this as well, but I don't think that's in the realm of possibility.

Does anyone have any suggested workflows or advice for this scenario?

1 REPLY 1

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Is assigning a different device to each user not an option?
Seems like it would solve a lot of your problems.
Or just have the devices set up as new.