Best Anti-Virus

burinskiy
New Contributor

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to see if I could get a consensus on what AV people think is best for the Mac? What do you guys use? What do you see as its biggest benefit? Biggest area of improvement?

Thanks,
Alex

8 REPLIES 8

jamest
New Contributor

We currently use Sophos Protection. It works great and can be tracked using the Sophos console. The benefit is we run weekly reports to make sure all definitions are all update to date. Usually if the systems are not up to date is because the computer was off

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I tend to agree with IBM's stance... "Rely on the native capabilities of macOS (Gatekeeper & SIP & Xprotect)"f0a329843ccd4b61bf7bc643b4670029

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I thought Sophos did an okay job when we used it at $oldjob.

We are using SentinelOne right now at $currentjob and if you don't have someone that is really intently managing and figuring out appropriate exclusions/whitelisting on the regular you will have lots of angry developers. Often.

But ymmv.

kquan
Contributor

Sophos hasnt been as reliable recently. It somehow allowed CryptoLocker on one of our windows machines. We're currently testing out Cylance and it seems to be alot better than Sophos.

scottb
Honored Contributor

SmarterUsers™
But I've used Sophos which I like and SEP which in recent incarnations has been pretty good actually.

jamesandre
Contributor

I have been using Eset CyberSecurity / Endpoint Protection for some time now, thinking of switching to Sophos.

I've had to turn off various options or add exclusions to get Eset to play nicely with Office, InDesign and Type Client. I've also had some issues that require Eset to be reinstalled.

The cloud console for Sophos looks attractive, Sophos home works fine on my own Mac.

jamesandre
Contributor

Sorry dupe.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Let me say that the deployment of McAfee Endpoint Security is a royal pain in the butt. If conditions aren't 100% perfect, you'll have to dig in manually to get things to work. And if there's ever a problem doing an upgrade (which almost certain on at least a few Macs), good luck uninstalling and reinstalling. Doing anything in the admin console requires 3 advanced degrees and a sherpa to guide you. It also has problems letting known malware through as well as reporting false positives. Reporting these false positives to McAfee is an exercise in futility.