Best way to migrate a user's data to a non-company Mac?

QS_Logan
New Contributor II

All,

I've got an end user who I'm doing a favor for, he's retiring and buying a new Mac which I'm setting up for him. I'd like to use migration assistant to move all his stuff over, while just removing the Jamf stuff-- I don't want the self service app going over, and I certainly don't want any configuration profiles moving over.

I haven't tried this in the past, but if I use migration assistant, and JUST move applications and the user folder, not checking any other boxes, will it also bring over configuration profiles, or other managed settings? All the apps on there are either free, site licenses (Which he won't be able to use once he's not connected to our network), or apps he purchased himself, so we're not worried about him taking any licenses he's not supposed to have. My big concern is that he's got an AD account, and we'll need to move him to a local account. Is this possible with migration assistant? 

Looking forward to hearing any possible suggestions that others have for how best to go about this. 

Thanks,

Logan

4 REPLIES 4

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

If it's fresh Mac, then really.. start fresh. Backup personal data to USB or something cloudy.

Depending on the Apps installed, its better to install it new.

If you migrate it, you'll end up moving a load of crud onto the new Mac, god knows whats lurking in /Application Support or $User/Library 

Yes it's somewhat laborious, but done once, it's in a known state. 

Migration assistant has it benefits going from Your Mac old to Your Mac new where you mirror the system, but not from Company Mac to Personal. 

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

I'd also skip Migration Assistant. Grab the Home folder and copy to something, like jamf-42 suggested. Keep it clean.

ajpinton1
New Contributor II

USB drive to manually migrate data, as others have said you will bring over unintended other stuff it you try to use any of apples automated methods like Time Machine or Migration Assistant. 

bfrench
Contributor III

I would not even move the Home folder. Airdrop any documents wanted from Desktop and Documents.  If they have major GB's of photos in the Photos app that is a whole other can of worms...

Depending on the company do they even have a legal right to copy the documents for personal use?? Or are these all personal documents like their tax files and kids pics they have used their company computer for over the years??