Bizarre Behavior With Adding/Editing Restricted Process

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

With JSS 8.72 and now 8.73, I'm seeing peculiar behavior when adding or editing a restricted process. I had added a block for Mavericks a few weeks back when the GM came out and now am attempting to edit the text display. Am seeing the following:

1) When i attempt to edit an existing restricted process, the changes don't take affect upon clicking "Save". When I view the "edited" restricted process, the changes are not reflected.
2) When I attempt to add a new restricted process, and click "Save", it does not show up in the list.
3) I am able to delete a restricted process without any issues.

Any idea what's going on? I was able to make changes a few weeks ago (I may have been running 8.7 at the time; I don't recall). I don't believe updating to 8.72 or 8.73 is causing this issue. I don't know what's causing this issue.

It's particularly bad timing as I really need to block my admins from installing Mavericks that was released today. I had a restricted process in place but in troubleshooting this problem, I deleted it and now am unable to add it back.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Update: It appears to have something to do with the length of the text in the message section that's displayed. If I create a rule with a smaller block of text, it adds fine. It appears that if the text block is too long, the rule will not save or be created. Weird.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Are there any types of special characters in your text block? Like slashes, quotes, ampersands, etc.?

How many characters is your text?

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Wanted to update this post. I worked with JAMF support for awhile in isolating this bug. It is indeed a bug in the character limit in the SQL table (255 characters). Line breaks count as two characters for some reason, so the behavior to the end user is particularly inconsistent based on how many line breaks are in the text field. The bug has been filed and a defect has been defined. I suspect we'll see a resolution to this in an upcoming version of Casper.