Build a Custom MacOS Dock

mosermat
New Contributor II

Hey Jamf Nation!

Do you need to create a custom MacOS Dock for your users?

I created a guide for the Jamf community, complete with scripts and packages, to help you do that.

After struggling to find a current, working solution I decided to build one myself. Since it took some time to make, I thought I'd share it with others that are looking to do the same thing. Hope it's helpful!

GitHub Repo with Full Guide Here: https://github.com/bluemoosegoose/Build-a-Custom-MacOS-Dock

Some info about it:

This Guide allows you to craft a custom MacOS dock for your environment, written specifically for Jamf Pro Admins.

Verified working on Monterey 12.3.1 and should be backwards compatible.

The custom dock will be built once, on first login, for any user that logs in to the Mac.

After the dock has been built once, it will not run again automatically, which is the intended behavior because we want our users to have our custom dock during onboarding and then give them the ability to make changes.

If you want to re-run the custom dock again, this is possible and can be scoped to a policy or placed in Self-Service. 

In my environment I have the Custom Dock to install on an Enrollment Trigger during onboarding. Then I also have it available in Self-Service for Users to run again anytime they want.

-----

Huge shoutout to @ryan_ball  for inspiring me to create this based on his DockBuilder Project. Dockbuilder is no longer working as of Monterey but you can read more about it here: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/i-built-dockbuilder-for-you/m-p/151356/thread-id/140394 . I used it for a few years with good success but it is no longer being supported or working in MacOS Monterey. I used the principles from his scripting and tried to expand upon it to create my current project. My project also utilizes his Launchd Package Creator Tool, which still works great. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

busdjamf
New Contributor II

This is great! Thank you! I just started running into this issue on Monterey.

mosermat
New Contributor II

Hey @busdjamf you're welcome! I'm not sure if you tried to run with this yet but I just realized I made a mistake and previously uploaded the wrong "BuildtheDock.sh" to github. I fixed it updated the readme a few minutes ago so you should be good to go now. If you run into any issues let me know!

busdjamf
New Contributor II

Hi @mosermat - I seem to be good. I don't think I downloaded and started using it until after you had already posted the updates. So far I haven't had any problems after hundreds of deployments on both Big Sur and Monterey. It works great and is easy to set up and customize. It still works great on the latest versions (11.7 and 12.6).

Thanks again for creating such a handy tool!

mosermat
New Contributor II

Nice! Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad it's working for you!