Cached upgrade going stale after x amount of hours

dascione
New Contributor II

We are starting deployment of 10.11 via Self-Service wide scale in our organization. This will be the first time with self-service other than select machines here and there with previous operating systems. However, with a few test machines, I cache the installer which verifies the DMG and succeeds, if they are left overnight or longer the 'Install Cached' policy (once kicked off from self-service) looks like it is working, reboots into the OS X Installer, but it doesn't boot into the installer I cached, it boots into the recovery partition.

After this, you have to set the start-up disk back to the main HD, reboot and let the policy recache. As long as you kick off that policy within a reasonable amount of time (say within an hour of caching), the machine boots into the installer, automatically upgrades and all is well.

It seems like the cached installer goes stale after some variable amount of time. Not sure if anyone has seen this before but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@dascione what does the Restart Options tab look like on your SS policy that kicks off the "Install Cached"? I've had success with having mine set to:

http://cl.ly/image/3i1z1l3e422K/Screen%20Shot%202015-10-21%20at%2011.49.36%20AM.png

I've been using this method to upgrade from 10.8 to 10.9 and 10.9 to 10.10 and have had very few issues.

dascione
New Contributor II

@stevewood thanks for the suggestion, that's what our kick off policy looks like in regards to restart options. The only other options set are the package in question (set to Install Cached), the scope and make available in self service.

I have played with authenticated restarts, with the few machines we have FileVault 2 enables on. But in all my test cases and for this topics purpose, it is turned off and the policy is running on non FileVault 2 enabled machines.