Can't disable Lost Mode on iPad

barbourms
New Contributor

Hi All! I have a 5th generation iPad running iOS 13 that is stuck in lost mode. We use Zscaler with all our devices. When I send the "Disable Lost Mode" command to the iPad it doesn't work. I have tried updating the inventory, clearing passcodes, everything! Plugging it into a Mac is out of the question since we are out of school and in distant learning mode. The student can not use their iPad for assignments. What are my options? I can wipe the iPad remotely but we don't want to walk parents/students through the set up process.

1 REPLY 1

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@barbourms If the iPad has a passcode on it and the student restarted the iPad or let the battery run flat then commands won't touch the device until it's unlocked. The wireless shuts off when this happens and doesn't reconnect until a passcode is entered. With it in lost mode the passcode prompt won't display.

If the student/parent has a Mac they could install Apple Configurator and get the iPad into recovery mode. Once in Recovery mode right click on the iPad, goto advanced, and choose Revive. That's worked for me in the past.

You're kind of backed into a corner at this point you can either try the above suggestion or have it brought into the school building.