Cannot Reach Jamf Pro Server

wendlije
New Contributor II

Have apple school manager setup, and trying to deploy iMovie to a test MacOS.  Using Self Service and when the user clicks install it spins then comes back with an error saying "Cannot Reach Jamf Pro Server".  We are cloud hosted, I have tried the machine off the district internet incase a Firewall issue was causing it.  No luck,

I am able to deploy a custom package of Chrome from the Jamf Cloud distribution point.  I also have tried xcode also another free app and it still gives me the error of "Cannot Reach Jamf Pro Server"

Mac Store Apps do not install

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have to "buy" it (even if it's free) from the Apps and Books section in ASM so that it can synchronize licenses (even free licenses) with Jamf. And then you can use Jamf to assign licenses to machines. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird concept, but it works and once you've done it a few times, it'll feel more natural. Also, don't forget to check that "Assign Content" box.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

garybidwell
Contributor III

Get Push Diagnostics installed on the Mac
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/push-diagnostics/id689859502?mt=12
This will save a whole heap of troubleshooting with what the device can or cannot communicate with Apple wise.
At least then you can see if APNs is being blocked

As for checking Jamf, run this command from the terminal 

jamf checkJSSConnection -verbose

Both Pass, still not working.  Thanks for the idea.  

Andrew_Kuntz1
New Contributor III

Are you using mobile accounts of any kind?

wendlije
New Contributor II

No

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Try issuing jamf checkJSSconnection in terminal and see what it returns. 

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

You're "purchasing" licenses for these free Apps in Apple School Manager, yes? And they equivalent number is showing up in the Mac Apps section of Jamf Pro? If so, great. Means the communication/sync and trust relationship between ASM, Jamf Pro, and App Store is working.

One thing that I se often, and have been caught myself several times, is that you have to remember to check the "Assign Content Purchased in Volume" checkbox under the "Managed Distribution" section for each App record in Jamf Pro. Even if you are distributing via Self Service (instead of automatically installing/deploying).

so even though its free I have to buy it through the VPP store first?  Thats probably where I am making the first mistake. 

You have to "buy" it (even if it's free) from the Apps and Books section in ASM so that it can synchronize licenses (even free licenses) with Jamf. And then you can use Jamf to assign licenses to machines. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird concept, but it works and once you've done it a few times, it'll feel more natural. Also, don't forget to check that "Assign Content" box.

That seams to have fixed part of the issue, but does the user have to sign into Apple to download it?  I thought with VPP they would not.

Not if the license for an App is machine-assigned (that checkbox I keep pointing you to). No Apple ID or login to the App Store should be needed (for those Apps).

Yeah looks to have worked, thank you so much for your help.  

No problem. Happy to help.

I am still having an issue after trying all of these steps. It is still telling me "Cannot reach a Jamf MDM server" in Self Service.

Did you ever get that issue resolved.  I'm having the same thing