Capturing initial setup

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi-

I need to make some documentation for some new deployment technicians. Ideally, it would include screenshots as it will involve using the migration assistant. Is there any way to screen capture the initial setup? I tried the regular keyboard shortcuts but got the error bong. I assumed maybe it would store them in the root account, but I guess not. I next tried enabling screen sharing, deleted .AppleSetupDone and tried again. Alas, apparently that service isn't started at that point of the setup as my other machine just sat there trying to connect. Same thing with Casper Remote

Any ideas? It's not a show stopper, but it would be nice to have those screen captures as the migration assistant that you run in the Utilities folder is a bit different and I'd like it just the same :)

Thanks

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Infrastructure and Operations
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

4 REPLIES 4

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Have you tried forcing the setup assistant on a computer that has Apple Remote Desktop configured and enabled? Then you could take the screen shots from a remote computer running the ARD Admin software.

-- Ted August
Salve Regina University

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've tried that. The initial setup appears to be a partial boot and those services aren't up yet at that stage.

I think I've found someone that can capture DVI out to another machine with a special box and will use that.

Thanks

j

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I guess it may be possible to configure a system, turn on ARD, then
delete the .AppleSetupDone file and all services should be running, but
I am not sure how launchd handles all of that and what is the sequence.

I think that would be worth a try though.

Not applicable

I have my netboot image to have ARD on.. I can use ARD to screen shot what I'm doing.