Casper 9 in the Cloud Discussion

MChivers
New Contributor II

Hello all, I figure the best place to ask or start a strong discussion is the JAMF community. We are currently running Casper 8.73 in our environment and deciding on the best upgrade approach to go from Casper 8 to Casper 9. We would like to have something that will be reachable in the DMZ. Our testing version of 9 (running in an Ubuntu VM) works but we've has some hurdles with setup so we thought about Casper 9 in the Cloud. But it got us thinking... are there a lot of users running 9 in the cloud or are most still managing their own servers locally? So I come to the community for thoughts and to see how everyone else is using their setups. For those who are running in the cloud have you found and issues or shortcomings you'd like to share? Have you had issues with updates or connection issues or lengthy downtimes? Has it been a smooth transition and use and would you recommend it?. For those still locally; was there something that you can share on why you chose not to go to the cloud. Any and all information you can pass to me would greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I became a JAMF customer in 2014 and chose their Cloud hosted solution as it was less overhead for us to manage, we are pretty friendly to external solutions like Google Apps. JAMF's been pretty positive to work with, with nothing exceptionally wrong in the hosted version although we aren't hammering our JSS with hundreds of clients, we are less than 200 right now.

For what it's worth, my company is an SaaS company ourselves, and our product people enjoyed meeting with the JAMF team during our Jump Start and really liked what we heard about how JAMF runs things.

One anecdote however is usually once in each conversation about an issue with support I have to remind them that I'm a hosted customer and no, this particular issue is not related to firewall ports or software patches. ;-)

althea
Contributor

@adamcodega Thanks for the feedback. Did y'all have any particular concerns about security? If so, how did JAMF do in addressing those concerns? Our main concern is the lack of documentation, white papers or case studies on the cloud service (maybe they exist, but we've asked our Account Exec for them and not received anything so far). We don't want to be a test case that JAMF learns on, so to speak. We're quite interested in the idea of a hosted solution, but it's just not reassuring that JAMF doesn't yet seem to have a lot of customers or success stories to point to.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

@althea I was looking at my JAMF Nation profile today and noticed I did what I always hate to see, I abandoned a thread!

We can talk via PM, email, Twitter, IRC if you're still interested.